About Me

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to make it through life one day at a time.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Security

Good morning, readers!

So.... I get to be a security officer again.  SlackerMom (confessions-slackermom.blogspot.com) signed me up to be security at their annual MOPS (Mothers Of Pre-Schoolers) sale.  The job is unpaid, however she promised me a trip to one of my favorite restuarants downtown (Louis Bentons Steak House) if I were to sign up.  Now... anyone who knows me knows that I'll do just about anything for a good steak.  (What I didn't tell her is that I'll also do just about anything for a good cause, paid or not... but TOO LATE!)  From what I've heard, MOPS is a great program and worthy of my time.  I'm even trying to get my wife to join.

Now... here's my issue. 

Once (maybe twice, I'm not sure) a year, MOPS has a large garage style sale to raise money for their organization.  They get people to donate lightly used items and put on a great sale (think "Day After Thanksgiving") that has people lined up outside the door for hours to get in.  They have great deals on clothes, appliances, you name it, they got it.  The prices are VERY reasonable and affordable.

So... why the need for security?

Apparently there are some moms out there who feel they are entitled to some of this reasonable and affordable stuff for free.  They believe that they don't have to pay for these donated items.  They think the world owes them and they are going to take what is due. Sad, isn't it?  Its sad to me that a non-profit organization who needs to have fundraisers to stay open (to these very moms who are shoplifting) requires security officers at their event.

So thats where I come in.  I get to roam the halls looking for people who feel they are better than everyone else so they don't have to pay for their merchandise. 

Now I know that times are tough right now.  Michigan has a large unemployement rate, and people are looking to scrimp by wherever they can.  But c'mon.... there are programs out there to help.  I'll bet that if you seriously needed help, and talked to the person who runs the MOPS sale, explained that little Jimmy hasn't a stitch of clothes to wear - that he was going to go hungry if you had to make a decision to buy clothes or food, I'll be you would leave there with at LEAST one good outfit, a good pair of shoes, and a winter coat.  I mean, there is no mom out there who likes to see little Jimmy suffer.  (However... please do not show up in your BMW sporting your Rolex watch and $400 dollar Coach purse.  Yes I know that even rich folk can have a hard time, but sell your B'mer, Rolex, and Coach and buy a Buick, Casio, and knockoff)

Whew!  That feels better to get off my chest.  Sorry if I seem mad or jaded.... I just don't like to see this kind of crime at a fundraiser.  If you're going to steal... go steal a laptop from Bill Gates.  He can afford to lose a laptop or two.  I kid! I kid!

So watch out ladies... I have brought my handcuffs, flashlight, and pepper spray out of retirement.  Well OK... the handcuffs were never retired... just relegated for uhhhhh other uses.  Oh... and I've gained a few pounds - so when I tackle you to the ground be prepared to have the wind knocked out of ya. 

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you tomorrow in your Neon Green Security Shirt. LBs was not meant to be a bribe... just another way I could say how much I REALLY APPRECIATE your help.
    Seriously... everyone was talking all day about our "real" security guard. Which in turn made me look good... cuz I'm the one who scored the "real" security guard. (Not scored with... shame on you! We are both happily married individuals)
    And I might add one little correction: This is a consignment sale so most of the items are sold by individuals with MOPS getting 30% of all sales. Some items are donated so MOPS gets 100%.
    It does help us keep our costs low.
    BTW: Your wife needs to join.

    ReplyDelete

Kent County Scanner - Scanning Fire Dispatch, Ada F2, Cascade F2, Cannon F2