About Me

My photo
I'm just a guy trying to make it through life one day at a time.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Is 8 Ounces Enough?

So what is it about Homecoming that makes teenagers think they need to get dressed up, rent limos, and eat at 5 star restaurants?

My wife and I went out with SlackerMom and her husband the other night to a very nice eatery (and when I say nice, I mean they have someone who's job it is is to walk around with one of them tiny broom and dustpan sets to clean the crumbs from your table between each course). In short, it's fancy.

My wife and I were there first, so we seated when J and S walked in.  The atmosphere was nice.  Lighting was good... sound level was good...  everything you'd expect in a 5 star place.  We were seated close to one other couple in our side of the restaurant.  All was good.

And then THEY showed up.  You know who I'm talking about.  THEY.  The 17 year old, loud, obnoxious, uncouth, no mannered teenagers. 

They began walking in 2-3 at a time, not waiting for a hostess to seat them.  Of course, this causes those already seated to shout out the names of the wanderers from across the room.  The dB level has now gone up at least 3 fold by now. 

Once THEY are finally all seated (12 in all), THEY began looking at the menu.  Obligatory comments made regarding the prices of the dinner selections were now being shouted from one end of the table to the other.  Apparently adequate research into the dinners prices was not done by the group so not enough money was brought to cover the cost of the check.

And then she said it....

"Is eight ounces enough?"

I'm not sure which one of them said it.  All I know is that it sent everyone in our group into hysterics.  S and I looked at each other and began making comments who would be blogging about it first.  (She won, by the way... only because I had to spend the entire day yesterday working on my car.) 

"Is eight ounces enough?"  I guess it must have been.  Four of the girls ended up ordering one (1) twelve ounce filet and splitting it four ways.  Three ounces apiece... thats like an appetizer to me for pete's sake. 

After they had placed their order, of course the cameras HAD to come out.  I don't know about you, but I try to avoid picture taking (especially with a flash) at a nice place to eat. (Unless of course Carrie Underwood were to walk in... I'd be stealing someone's camera for photo frenzy... especially if she were wearing tight fitting jeans with a white t-shirt and a hat with her pony tail sticking out of it - but I digress...) I understand that you want to remember the evening, but c'mon... turn off the flash!  Take your pictures outside of the restaurant.  Or the limo.  Or at the dance.  And if your camera has one of the features that sends lit design aross the room so the flash can adjust itself, turn that off too.  I spent the evening watching different shades of green checkerboards and red balls flash themselves against the wall.  I thought I was in a disco with as much light that was displayed. 

And then the fun REALLY started.  I guess the girls were getting bored, so they began putting the fake tealight candles between their breasts.  (Which had they been a little older, might have been fun for J and I)  More pictures of course.  I mean, who wouldn't want to remember that they went to a 5 star place and put fake candles between their boobies.  The guys were hoot'n and hollerin' for more.  The atmosphere was now that of BW3's. 

OK... I'm really not trying to be judgemental.  I'm trying to be understanding that it was an important night to them and they wanted to celebrate.  However, until you have the class on how to behave at a nice place - perhaps you should stick to TGI Friday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kent County Scanner - Scanning Fire Dispatch, Ada F2, Cascade F2, Cannon F2